According to studies, women purchase or lease slightly over one half of all the cars delivered, and play a major role in over 85% of deliveries. In fact, believe it or not, in the average household more women buyers are making the decision without the man than men can make without the woman. But despite that, many women say that they are still getting sub-par treatment in dealerships.
However, their research shows that women’s top reason for purchasing was a positive engagement with a sales consultant.
And good news – you control that.
When shopping for a vehicle, women are quite often more prepared than men. This may be a defense mechanism but regardless, many of them have done their homework. They also tend to be less emotional in their decision-making. In general, women tend to be more emotional than men, but not in the purchase of cars. And consequently they are more practical and not as likely to overspend.
What are some of the things you can do to improve our interaction with women buyers?
1. Be prompt in your initial meeting.
2. Acknowledge both parties equally when a male and female enter your dealership together.
3. Ask questions to determine their buying motives.
4. Watch for body language.
5. Highlight good reviews and the dealership’s reputation.
6. Sell your dealership and its services.
7. Treat them with respect.
8. Get rid of archaic, stereotypical attitudes.
9. Do not try to impress women with car lingo.
10. Last but not least, be patient – do not try to rush. Take them down the complete road to a sale without shortcuts.
After all, she would not be there if she were not interested in buying a vehicle.
Are we missing anything? Share your experience or insights relating to women buyers in the comments below.
The Mar-Kee Group
The Mar-Kee Group is proud to celebrate 20 years of outstanding Sales, Service, and Management Training.